Spicy Thai Basil – Thai Cuisine
Recipe type: Appetiser
Spicy Thai Basil has such a wonderful flavor with abundance of freshness packed in it. This Thai dish has been our favorite at our local Thai Restaurant and it was one of the dishes that inspired us to do the whole Thai series as well. The color, the crunch and the flavor of in this dish is absolutely stunning.
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Extra Firm Tofu – 14oz, cubed
- Sweet Onions – ½ med, sliced
- Green Bell Pepper – 1 large, sliced
- Red Bell Pepper – ½ large, sliced
- Snow Peas – handful
- Carrot – ½, thinly sliced
- Bamboo Shoots – 1 cup
- Baby Corn – 1, 14 oz can
- Straw Mushrooms – ½ can
- Fresh Basil Leaves – a few
- Crushed Red Chili Flakes – as needed
- Seasoning Sauce – ¾ cup (Golden Mountain or Maggi Seasoning Sauce)
- Water – ½ cup
- Palm Sugar – ½ cup or to taste
- Thai Basil – 8-10 sprigs
- In a wok, heat Oil (1 tbsp).
- Once hot, add the cubed Tofu and stir fry till lightly golden on all sides.
- After it is done, take it out and keep aside.
- Start working on the sauce and heat up the Seasoning Sauce in a pan.
- Add in Water, Palm Sugar, Thai Basil and allow them to cook for about 5-7 min.
- In the same wok, add in an additional 1 tbsp of Oil and increase the heat to a high.
- Add in the Onions and allow them to caramelize just a bit.
- Once done, add in other vegetables – Green Bell Pepper, Red Bell Pepper, Snow Peas, Bamboo Shoots and Baby Corn.
- Keep stirring the vegetables and cook for about 3-4 min.
- Add in the Straw Mushrooms and the fried Tofu.
- Mix and add in the Sauce.
- Mix well and allow everything to cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the basil from the wok and replace with some fresh Basil.
- Add in the crushed Red Chili Flakes as needed.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes and serve with some hot Jasmine Rice.
1. Add in some Chicken, Turkey, shrimp, beef or pork (bite-size) right after the onions and cook for a bit. carry on the procedure from there and enjoy a non-veg dish.