Thai Larb Spicy Chicken Salad
Recipe type: Appetiser
Larb (or Laab) is a Thai warm salad that can be made with ground chicken, beef, pork or turkey. Though we call it a salad with all of the freshness from lime, mint leaves and cilantro, Larb can be eaten with sticky rice or different vegetables such as cabbage. Try this Laab recipe as a side dish for your thai meal or as the main coarse…simply delicious!
- Ground Chicken – 1 lb (approx 500 g)
- Lime Juice – from 1 large lime plus more for garnishing
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Soy Sauce (or Fish Sauce) – 1 Tbsp plus more (to taste) for garnishing
- Rice – 1 Tbsp, dry roasted until brown and roughly crushed
- Shallot – 1 large, sliced thin
- Green Onions – 2 stalks, chopped
- Green Chilies – to taste, chopped
- Mint Leaves – handful, chopped
- Cilantro – handful, chopped
- Crushed Red Pepper – to taste
- Salt – optional, to taste
- Add the juice of 1 lime to ground chicken, mix well allow to marinate for 5 minutes.
- Add Oil to a pan and heat on medium heat.
- Add Chicken and 1 Tbsp of Soy or Fish Sauce.
- Mix and cook Chicken until no more pink is seen and all moisture has evaporated. Stir constantly.
- In a separate bowl, add Shallots, Green Chilies, Green Onions, Mint Leaves and Cilantro.
- Add cooked chicken and mix well.
- Add fresh lime juice to taste and additional Fish or Soy Sauce as needed.
- Add Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to taste and mix in Crushed Toasted Rice.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.