Masala Chicken Recipe
Recipe type: Curries
If you want to try an Indian chicken recipe without the long list of ingredients, this is the perfect choice! With some basic whole spices and fragrant curry leaves, whip up delicious gravy-less chicken that goes well with any flat bread.
- Chicken – 2½ lbs (skinless, boneless thighs)
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Cinnamon Stick – 2″ piece
- Cloves – 5
- Whole Black Peppercorn – ½ tsp
- Bay Leaf – 1 large
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Fennel Seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 5 large sprigs
- Onions – 2½ large, sliced
- Ginger – 2 Tbsp, minced
- Garlic – 2 Tbsp, minced
- Green Chilies – to taste, minced
- Salt – to taste
- Heat Oil in a large pan.
- Add whole spices (except Fennel Seeds) and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add Fennel Seeds and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add Curry Leaves and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add Onions and a little salt and cook for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilies. Stir frequently and cook until onions caramelize (approx 12-15 minutes).
- Add Chicken and Salt. Mix well, cover and cook until chicken is no longer pink on the inside (approx 15 minutes). Stir frequently.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove the lid and continue to cook until the chicken is lightly browned and oil starts to release (approx 10 minutes).
- Serve hot with parotta, paratha, roti, dosa, appam, etc.