Recipe type: Curries
Impress your guests with this wonderfully aromatic Indian-inspired curry.
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1kg lamb shoulder steaks, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 85g (1/3 cup) rogan josh curry paste
- 250ml (1 cup) passata (tomato pasta sauce)
- 375ml (1½ cups) water
- Curry leaves, deep-fried, to serve
- Chapatti or naan bread, warmed, to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cook one-third of the lamb, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining lamb, reheating the pan between batches.
- Cook onion, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until golden. Add curry paste and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Add lamb, passata and water to the pan. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1¼ hours or until the lamb is tender. Uncover and cook for 30 minutes or until mixture is reduced. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with curry leaves. Serve with chapatti or naan bread.