Eggplant (Baingan) Raita
Recipe type: Appetiser
If you love Eggplant (Baingan, Brinjal, Aubergine), you’ll love this Eggplant Raita. Most people are used to eating raita (a combination of yogurt with shredded or cubed vegetables such as cucumber, radish, onions, carrots, etc) as a mere accompaniment, but this Baingan Raita recipe can hold it’s own. Enjoy it with rice or chapati.
- Chinese Eggplant – 1, cut into semi-circles
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Onions – 1 small, finely chopped
- Garlic – 1 tbsp, minced
- Turmeric Powder ¼ tsp
- Green Chili – to taste, for garnish
- Salt – to taste
- Yogurt – 2 cups
- Cilantro – for garnish, finely chopped
- Heat Oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add Onions, Garlic, Turmeric Powder and Green Chilies. Cook until Onions are translucent.
- Add Eggplant (baingan) and cook on high heat until almost tender. Stir frequently.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook eggplant until tender.
- Remove Eggplant into a bowl and salt it. Allow it to come to room temperature.
- Add Salt to Yogurt and mix well. Add cooled Eggplant into the yogurt and mix well.
- Garnish with Cilantro (coriander leaves).