Fire and Ice Tomato Salad
Recipe type: Salads
If you don’t have any exotic vegetable or ingredient at home, and yet want to quickly rustle up a different, nice salad, this is it. Chunky tomato wedges, sliced onions and cucumber slices do very well in a tangy, spicy dressing of vinegar, sugar, mustard and chilli flakes. The dressing here is boiled together here before tossing it in with the vegetables. This fiery-to-taste salad tastes even better when it is served chilled. Delicious!
- 2 cups tomatoes wedges
- ¾ cup sliced onions
- 1 cup peeled and sliced cucumber
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp coarsely crushed mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1 tsp dry red chilli flakes (paprika)
- Combine the tomatoes, onions and cucumber in a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat an empty non-stick pan on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, till really hot, add the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds and dry red chilli flakes and bring to boil.
- Pour over the vegetables and toss well.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Serve chilled.