Ridge Gourd Toor Dal Curry
Recipe type: Curries
Ridge gourd is peeled and chopped. They are then cooked in oil along with spices till just soft. Toor dal is either pressure cooked for a whistle or boiled in water till soft and whole. Finally both are mixed and cooked briefly before serving ridge gourd toor dal curry with steamed rice and dollop of ghee.
- Ridge Gourd 2 Large
- Toor Dal ¼ Cup
- Garlic 2 Cloves
- Green Chiles 2 – 3
- Turmeric Powder ⅛ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida a Big Pinch
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chiles.
- Peel and slice the garlic cloves.
- Refresh toor dal under water thoroughly.
- Peel the ridge gourd and chop the ridge gourd into small pieces.
- Pressure cook toor dal in ½ cup of water for 2 – 3 whistles.
- Heat oil in a wok, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add garlic cloves and green chiles.
- Fry briefly, add chopped ridge gourd, turmeric powder and salt.
- Add a splash of water and cook covered till ridge gourd turns soft.
- Uncover, stir in cooked toor dal and salt (if necessary).
- Mix thoroughly and cook for a minute.
- Remove from heat and serve ridge gourd toor dal curry with steamed rice and dollop of ghee.
Make sure to cook the toor dal right. Suggestions: If the ridge gourd skins are still raw, boil them till just soft. If toor dal is not cooked well, add dal to the pan before adding ridge gourd skins and fry till soft. If toor dal is overcooked, don’t use it in the curry.