Chocolate Frosting (Icing) for Cake
Recipe type: Dessert
Take your chocolate cake, vanilla cake or marble cake to the next level with this smooth and rich chocolate frosting (icing) recipe. A few ingredients and a few minutes will leave you wondering why you’ve been using store bought frosting.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – ½ cup + 2 Tbsp
- Sour Cream – 2 Tbsp
- Instant Coffee – ½ tsp
- Unsalted Butter – 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick)
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Salt – pinch
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – ½ cup + 2 Tbsp
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together Heavy Whipping Cream, Sour Cream and Instant Coffee. Keep aside.
- In a sauce pan, melt Butter on medium heat.
- While continuously stirring, add Sugar, Salt and Cocoa Powder. Mixture should be thick and crumbly.
- Slowly add Whipping Cream mixture and keep stirring until smooth and sugar has dissolved. Do not boil.
- Turn off the stove and add Vanilla Extract. Mix well.
- Remove frosting into a different bowl and allow to cool completely. It may be kept in the fridge for faster cooling.
- Frost completely cooled cakes with completely cooled frosting.
- Any remaining frosting can be stored in the fridge in a tightly sealed container for up to 1 week.