gajar halwa recipe
Recipe type: sweets
gajar halwa – a traditional slow cooked recipe of carrot halwa with just carrots, milk, ghee, sugar and a few dry fruits.
- 8 to 9 medium tender juicy carrots/gajar – yields approx 4 to 4.5 cups grated carrots
- 4 cups full fat organic milk
- 4 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
- 10 to 12 tbsp organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar or as required
- 20-25 whole cashews
- 5 to 6 green cardamom, powdered finely in a mortar-pestle or about ⅓ tsp cardamom powder
- a pinch of saffron strands (optional)
- handful of golden raisins
- rinse, peel and grate the carrots.
- in a kadai or deep thick bottomed pan combine milk and grated carrots.
- on a low to medium flame, bring the whole mixture to a boil and then simmer.
- while the mixture is simmering on a low flame, keep on stirring in between.
- the grated carrots will cook in the milk and the milk will start to reduce and evaporate.
- when the milk has 75% reduced, add the ghee, sugar and powdered cardamom to the mixture.
- stir well and continue to simmer and cook on a low flame.
- do keep on stirring the gajar halwa in between.
- towards the end, add the cashews, crushed saffron and raisins and simmer till all the milk is evaporated. switch off the burner.
- serve gajar halwa hot, warm or you can also serve it cold.