Sweet Potato Lettuce Wraps
Recipe type: Appetiser
When comparing nutritional values of vegetables, the sweet potato always comes on top. Packed with complex carbohydrates, fiber and plenty of beta carotene (Vitamin A), the sweet potato can be a nutritious as well as delicious part of a healthy diet. It can also save millions of malnourished children around the world. Try a unique way to enjoy sweet potatoes with this mouth watering Sweet Potato Lettuce Wraps recipe. If you like it, please forward it to your friends and family, share it on Facebook, twitter or any other social media. By signing the petition below, you can help us get the “Humble Sweet Potato” on the agendas of world leaders.
- Sweet Potatoes – 1 lb (peeled and diced)
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – ¾ tsp or to taste
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Whole Dry Red Chilies – 3 or to taste
- Granny Smith (Green) Apple – 1 (peeled and shredded)
- Green Chili – 1 or to taste (finely chopped)
- Cilantro – 5 sprigs (finely chopped)
- Roasted Peanuts – 2-3 Tbsp (roughly chopped)
- Lime Juice – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Iceberg Lettuce – 1 head
- Heat Oil in a medium pan (skillet) with a lid.
- Add diced Sweet Potatoes and Salt and mix through.
- Cover and cook until sweet potatoes are tender but not mushy (approx 8 mins)
- In the meantime, dry roast Cumin Seeds and Dry Red Chilies until fragrant.
- Allow the cumin seeds and chilies to cool before roughly grinding them.
- Sprinkle the spice powder over the cooked sweet potatoes and mix through.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together shredded Green Apples, Cilantro, Green Chili, Peanuts, Salt and Lime Juice.
- Cut Lettuce head through the middle so that lettuce “bowls” can be removed.
- In each lettuce bowl, add a small amount of sweet potatoes and top with a little shredded apple mixture.
- Roll the lettuce leaf into a burrito type wrap and enjoy immediately.