Recipe type: Curries
Chicken shawarma is a Middle east Asian chicken recipe with marinated chicken grilled till perfection and enjoyed wrapped up in a maida roll with mint based chutney as dressing.
- 4⅓ kgs chicken with skin
- ½ tsp cinnamon (dalchini) powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg (jaiphal) powder
- ½ tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
- ¾ tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp black pepper (kalimirch) powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sumac, optional
- Pita bread
- Cut chicken into large pieces. wash the chicken pieces and pat dry.
- Place cinnamon, nutmeg, green cardamom, allspice, black pepper, and salt in a bowl.
- Add lemon juice and mix well to make thick paste.
- Place the chicken pieces in a bowl and rub the paste over the pieces thoroughly.
- Marinate it for 5-6 hours at room temperature or over night
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. grease a baking dish with oil, place chicken pieces with skin side down, and bake it for about 20 minutes.
- Take it out, turn them over and bake for 10-15 more minutes or until the chicken is tender but still moist.
- Remove the skin and shred the chicken with a sharp knife.
- Put the shredded chicken back in the baking dish.
- prinkle 1 teaspoon of sumac and mix well and bake for 5 more minutes, if desire, but do not over bake the chicken.
Place one pita bread on the board, put a thick layer of mayonnaise. Place 3-4 tablespoons of shredded chicken, 3 pieces of pickle and 4-5 french fries. Roll it up and wrap in paper napkin.