Recipe type: Curries
Stir-fried chicken cooked (in a wok called kadhai in India) with whole spices in a tomato gravy and garnished with dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi).
- 3 tablespoon(s) oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) coriander seeds lightly roasted and crushed
- 3 dry red chillies pounded
- 3 large onions finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon(s) garlic paste
- 2 teaspoon(s) ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon(s) red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) hot spice mix (garam masala) powder
- 12 medium pieces (about 800 grams) of chicken
- 2 green chillies deseeded and slit
- Salt to taste
- 4 large tomatoes pureed
- 6 tablespoons fresh coriander finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon(s) dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) crushed
- finely chopped fresh coriander and shredded green chillies to garnish
- Heat the oil in a wok (kadhai). Fry the crushed coriander seeds and pounded red chillies for a few seconds. Add the onions and fry for about 4 minutes or till light brown. Add the garlic and ginger paste. Saute till the onions are golden brown.
- Add the spice powders and keep stirring for a few seconds. Add the chicken pieces and the slit green chillies. Stir-fry for about 8 minutes or till the chicken pieces are golden brown on all sides.
- Add the tomato puree and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes or till the chicken is tender. Increase the heat and stir well till the gravy is thick and oil floats on top. Sprinkle the crushed dry fenugreek leaves and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.
Boneless chicken can be also used for this recipe. Reduce or halve the weight of chicken if using boneless. Rest of the ingredients remain the same. Reduce the cooking time of chicken. The amount of green and red chillies can be increased or decreased as desired. Keep some amount of hot water ready if more gravy is desired. Serve hot with: Cumin Rice (Jeera Chawal), steamed rice or Indian bread (Roti).