Chicken noodle salad with ginger dressing
Recipe type: salads
Brighten up your day with this healthy and colourful Asian chicken noodle salad.
- 270g dried somen noodles (see note)
- 2 cups shredded cooked skinless chicken
- 1 medium yellow capsicum, thinly sliced
- 200g enoki mushrooms, trimmed, separated
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup fresh coriander leaves
- ⅔ cup fresh Thai basil leaves
- Ginger dressing
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons Chang's sesame oil
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, grated
- Cook noodles in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain. Refresh under cold water. Drain. Place in an airtight container with chicken, capsicum, mushroom and chilli. Place onion, coriander and basil in separate snap-lock bags. Refrigerate.
- Make dressing Place oils, vinegar and ginger in a screw-top jar. Season with salt and pepper. Secure lid. Refrigerate.
Shake dressing to combine. Add onion, coriander, basil and dressing to noodles. Toss to combine. Serve. Somen noodles are thin Japanese noodles made from wheat flour. These light noodles are ideal chilled in summer salads or in clear soups. They're available in the Asian aisle of larger supermarkets. Super saver: Replace the Thai basil with ⅓ cup extra fresh coriander leaves and save around $1.26 in total.