Couscous Salad – Healthy Lunch Recipe
Recipe type: Appetiser
Whether you are on a diet or not, everyone can use a healthy (nutritious plus low-fat) lunch. Try this Couscous Salad recipe and prepare to be amazed how a “healthy salad” can take you through the day. It’s also perfect for those office potlucks or for picnics and barbecues. Packed with protein and lots of fiber, not to mention the beautiful assortment of colors, this couscous salad is sure to become a staple item in your home.
- Couscous – 1 cup
- Salt – ¼ tsp or to taste
- Boiling Water – 1½ cups
- Olive Oil – 1 Tbsp (optional)
- Green Onions – 2-3 stalks (chopped)
- Bell Pepper – ½ chopped, any color
- Cucumber – ½ medium, peeled and chopped
- Cilantro – 10 sprigs, chopped
- Tomatoes – 2 medium or handful of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
- Garbanzo Beans – 15 oz can, washed and drained
- Dried Cranberries – handful
- Chopped Walnuts – handful
- Salt – to taste
- Black Pepper – to taste
- Lemon/Lime Juice – to taste
- In a bowl, add Couscous, Salt and Boiling Water. Mix well, cover and keep aside for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with a fork to make sure there are no lumps. Allow it to cool.
- Add Olive Oil (optional) and mix thoroughly.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix well. Adjust salt or lime juice..salad is a little on the tangy side.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes and serve.
If you are not worried about calorie counting, try using a Balsamic Vinaigrette as a dressing for your couscous salad. It adds a whole different dimension and flavor.